Bird Keeping the South African Way
Keeping and Breeding Softbills
Worldwide there is a growing interest in Softbills and this new Double Disc DVD, will provide you with information on more than 85 softbill species, as well as the opportunity to lean lot of valuable tips from three of South Africa's leading Softbill breeders: Mossie Webber (Turacos) William Horsfield (Toucans) and Graeme Hoffman ( Barbets, Starlings, Jays and Hornbills).
Species Details Include:
- Housing and Nesting Requirements
- Endemic Status
- Dietary Needs
Some of the most beautiful birds in the world belong to the popular softbill group, which can be kept in planted aviaries and in essence feed on a diet of fruit, nectar etc. The description, "Softbill" does not mean that they have soft beaks, but refers to the fact that unlike parrots or finches they do not feed predominantly on nuts or seeds. Softbills fall into specific dietary groups and the footage includes a legend to highlight their preference be it vegetable, fruit, insects, nectar, seed or meat.
With the increasing availability of specialist avian nutrition for Softbills, more and more aviculturists are turning their skill to the challenge of breeding these magnificent birds. For many birdkeepers and breeders the ultimate test of this fascinating hobby is to see if they can successfully breed Softbills, which are often well-known for their challenging mating habits and their wonderful calls.
The Double Disc DVD, includes:
- Aviary options suitable for Softbills
- Where best to position your aviaries
- Suitable aviary plants
- Nests and nesting materials
- Tips for safety flights and service passages
- Preparation of correct dietary requirements
- Cultivating your own live food e.g. crickets, mealworms etc.
- How to successfully breed pinkies and fuzzy baby mice
- A convenient Softbill Diet Guide Plan is included in the DVD
- Valuable health Care Tips
- Setting up a Bird Room
- Nesting, Incubation and Brooder Information
- Acquiring New Stock
- Quarantine Facilities
- Security and Healthcare Management
- Eliminating Pests and Rodents
- Advice from three of South Africa's leading Softbill breeders: Mossie Webber (Turacos) William Horsfield (Toucans) and Graeme Hoffman ( Barbets, Starlings, Jays and Hornbills)
Other species include:
- Pekin Robins
- White Eyes
- Fairy wrens
- Blue-faced honey eaters
- Asian fairy blue birds
- Bohemian waxwings
- Green broadbills
- Greater leaf birds
- Fruit Pigeons
- Fairy Bluebirds – wonderful information on beautiful softbills.
Additional Species include:
- 12 Species of Fruit Pigeons and Doves
- 7 Species of Barbets
- 5 Species of Jays
- 10 Species of Starlings and Mynas
- 14 Species of Turacos
- 6 Species of Toucans, Toucanets and Aracaris
- 12 Species of Hornbills
This DVD also includes a special section on the pioneering work that is currently being done in South Africa at the Mabula Ground Hornbill project with regard to the threatened Southern Ground Hornbill (Bucorvus leadleateri) species. With less than 1500 Ground Hornbill left in the wild, this remarkable and poignant story will demonstrate how bird keepers help to make a positive contribution to modern day nature.
- DVD includes a unique Bird Keeper's Guide
- "A must have for all bird keeping whether you are a softbill breeder or not!" -Just Finches and Softbill magazine
SALE! DVD BirdKeeping Series - Over 500 years of bird keeping experience
shared in this pioneering bird keeping 5 DVD Series. On sale!
Bird Keeping the South African Way
Part Five – Keeping and Breeding Softbills – DOUBLE DISC DVD - 154 Minutes Running Time
Available in PAL Format Only. This highly informative double disc DVD will give maximum viewing pleasure
viewed on a TV, Desktop or Laptop Computer.
Additional Recommended DVDs and Titles
Bird Keeping the South African Way - Part 1: Six Part Overview of South African Way
Bird Keeping the South African Way - Part 2: The Finches of Africa
© lady gouldian finch.com 2017